Monday, July 26, 2010

Heritage Textile

I created this textile design to reflect my heritage. Currently, my parents are orchardists in central Washington. They grow all kinds of pears including Bosc, D'Anjou, Bartlett, Star Crimsons and a few other varieties as well. I feel that this is just as much a part of my heritage as this is more related to me personally than the countries my ancestors came from. I also used the filigree columns and ellipse to represent the German Lederhosen. While I am primarily of German heritage, wearing Lederhosen on Halloween is about as in tune with it as I get. In the center of the ellipse I added the animal representation for the Okanagan Native American tribe. While I am a few generations down the line, and my family has never represented ourselves as Native American, it is not something that I shouldn't acknowledge about my lineage. I created the textile in photoshop with images I collected from the internet. I chose blue, because the textile being about me, is my favorite color. I like that the pattern repeats itself cleanly, meaning that it is nearly impossible to see any seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment